Monday, April 8, 2013

Pixie Dust and Other Stuff


"To live would be an awfully big adventure."
J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Recently I have been looking back at old posts. Its hard for me to believe how much my littles change in just a few weeks and months and I know if I had not captured these small life moments they would have disappeared. Lost happy memories that may have seemed unimportant at the time but, later in life, will be one of many components that make up the whole of a joyful life. 
(The kids taking turns playing doctor--with their play workshop tools.)
(Him: "This won't hurt a bit Sissy."
Her: "OK" as she sits there and lets him pinch the bejesus out of her finger.)
(Her: "It feel better now.")
(She grabs Baby Cash's hand often and says, "Look Mommy! We holding hands!")

A few weeks ago I purchased the Peter Pan book on CD and, since hearing it multiple times, my kids have a new found love of the classic tale. Timing couldn't have been more perfect because our town's Middle School held a performance of Peter Pan this weekend and I took the kids to see it. 
(We felt real swords wouldn't be a good idea for the play so Daddy crafted a safer version out of paper and a piece of cardboard. He was happy.)
 
 (Him: "C'mone! Mommy's car is taking us to Neverland where we'll never grow old!"
Her: "OK but I a rabbit, not Tinkerbell.")

Shortly after sitting down in our seats an older gentleman sat down next to Hunter. He said hello to us then turned to Hunter and said, "Young man, you don't know me but the first time they did this play was 26 years ago and I was here. My daughter played Peter Pan." He immediately puffed up with pride and Hunter smiled big. I couldn't resist smiling and excitedly commenting on how really cool that was and what a neat guy to be sitting next to. 

Although the play was long, the kids did great. Another older gentleman came over to me during the second intermission to say how well behaved my children were and he was so impressed with "what good kids I had". Initially, I wanted to say, "Oh, believe me, they have their days" because it has been a challenging last couple of days. But, I remembered that little ears were listening and I said, "they are very good kids." Their smiles told me I had responded the right way. 

After being mesmerized by pixie dust and flying friends, the play was coming to a close with the scene of the aged Wendy telling Peter that she had grown too old to fly. I suddenly heard someone crying nearby. I looked over and realized that the gentleman sitting next to Hunter was crying. His quiet cry turned into full weeping and I realized that last scene brought back bittersweet memories when his own daughter was in this play and now she too was all grown up. 

I couldn't help myself. I began crying as well and I squeezed that beautiful little girl sitting in my lap because she was too tiny to see over the girl sitting in front of her and the adventurous little boy next to me who was the first to teach me what my heart was really made for: loving three little people who make my world extraordinary....
and reminding me to do it while taking things lightly.
(He said for weeks he wanted a "Night-Night party". I asked him what that entailed and he said, "lots of balloons, toys and presents. Sissy can come too." So, I hung balloons, dressed up some of his favorite stuffed toys, turned on some great dance music and showered him with 'presents' of hugs, kisses, my time and making his small request come true.)
"Dreams do come true if only we wish hard enough.
You can have anything in life if you will sacrifice everything else for it."
-J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan


2 comments:

  1. Little cuties! Love the pic with the kitty =)

    xo,
    Katie

    hellolittlebean.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog! Could you please tell me where I could find the building plans for the cottage bunkbed? I want to build this (have my husband build) for our girls! I love the window flower boxes and that the bottom bed is on the floor, this is where we will be transitioning our "baby" girl this summer! Thank you so much for sharing!
    Vickey
    vickey.jones@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments like I love eating chocolate donuts....