Thursday, September 6, 2012

Donuts and Lemonade Reading Party

"Books are a uniquely portable magic."
-Stephen Kind

If you were to ask me what my hobbies are or my favorite past times, reading would inevitably top the list. I have always loved to read and I have my parents to thank for that. They spent countless hours reading to my brothers and I on their laps, in rooms, and on porch swings.

I am fortunate enough to now have them read to my own littles.
During the summers, my mom would take the three of us to her aunt's beach house for a month. As sure as the sun rose and set each day, she would read to us. I loved the anticipation that built during the day as my mind swirled with thoughts as to just what would take place next for the Bobbsey Twins

It was never the summer reading I was required to do for school but the books we read as a family that moved me. I absolutely, unabashedly love everything about reading a good book and often feel as if I've lost a friend when the last page is turned. 
Would I give up manicures and pedicures for a year for more time to read books? Yes.

Would I give up brownies for six months to have more time to read? You betcha.

Would I give up Prada shoes and maxi dresses? OK, now we're entering into gray areas.

But, the bottom line is, I want to instill this passion for reading into my littles. Fortunately, Dave feels the same way and I believe we've done a pretty stellar job so far incorporating reading into our every days. 

Recently, I came up with an idea to have a reading party. I love having parties and my usual motto is, "the more the merrier!" with the guest list, but with three under three, having the added stress of prepping our house for a party was a little unappealing. I figured, three kids and a couple of adults is party enough right? 

Enter the Donuts and Lemonade Reading Party. A box of munchkins, fresh lemonade and books. 
Lots and lots of books both old and new.
I truly believe that a home can never be too full of books. Our home has books in every room of our house and we have our friends and family to thank for continuing to fill it with new and interesting books. 

A few of our favorites:
*Anything by Dr. Seuss
*Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, Knuffle Bunny Free, Should I Share My Ice Cream, Pigs Make Me Sneeze, I Can Throw the Ball, There's a Bird on Your Head all by Mo Willems. (Thank you Ali for introducing us to this author!)
*Pete the Cat and His New Shoes, Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons both created and illustrated by James Dean, Stories by Eric Litwin (Thank you to our good friends the Overleys for introducing us to this series. Note: This family also happens to have a pretty awesome pool.)
*If You Take a Mouse to the Movies, If You Give a Moose a Muffin, If You Give a Cat a Cupcake, If You Give a Pig a Party all by Laura Numeroff (Thank you KK, Sara Moulton, and Jen Day for getting us started on this series.)
*The Wizard of Oz by L.Frank Baum (We have many copies thanks to my mom and dad. The one we're currently reading has a custom drawing of the yellow brick road but the Emerald City has been converted to Atlanta with a note from my dad telling me to follow it.)
*We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen
*The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone (a childhood favorite of Uncle Josh and mine!)

Thank you Mom and Dad for instilling a love of reading in me because it has proven to be a priceless gift.
"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents."
-Emilie Buchwald

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments like I love eating chocolate donuts....